Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Social Media and Web 2.0 Questions

1. I believe that amateur user-generated content will have more success in the near future. TV shows and advertisements have JUST began using this type of method and as of now production values have been dropping, but I feel it's only a matter of time that we will see a large improvement. People my age and the demographic within about ten or fifteen years older than me I feel are the majority of people focusing on such TV shows and advertisements, and we enjoy seeing content that we can relate to and that of which makes more sense to us. Being familiar with a product and seeing how it is useful to someone of my age would make me consider buying it, and same goes with watching a television show. My advice to these companies would be to continue using amateur user-generated content and be patient, the results you want will come.

2. As of right now, the only social media site I use is Facebook, and I use it quite often. I'm actually on it right now as I'm doing this assignment. It can be pretty addicting and I go on it pretty much every day. I used to have a MySpace, but then when everyone began switching to Facebook I didn't feel the need to have two. A lot of people hate Facebook, but it is actually so convenient. It is a great way to stay up to date with your friends. For instance, my buddies and I from High School have a thread where we talk to eachother all the time, share stories from college, etc. It's a great way to stay in touch. I cannot see the day where Facebook will die out, because everyone has one. Businesses now are starting to use them now to reach out to clients and advertise. So in my opinion, Facebook will be around for my entire lifetime.

3. Transparency is a very important topic for social media, and in my opinion, more controversial  than offline interaction. Being too open on the internet can cause a LOT of problems. Now a days, you can't just put any picture you want on your Facebook and expect people not to see it that you don't want to. Once it's online, it's pretty much open game. There are plenty of things that can go wrong if you are too open on the web, such as identity theft and people hacking your bank accounts. You can never be too careful with what you publish online. Another controversial issue is colleges not accepting kids due to their Facebooks. Now I see all my friends from High School misspelling their last names on purpose so colleges can't find them and see pictures of them drinking or any other risque photos. The same goes with jobs, as they can potentially do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment